Isaiah 44:22

Isaiah 44:22
"I have wiped out your transgressions like a thick cloud And your sins like a heavy mist Return to Me, for I have redeemed you."

Saturday, February 23, 2008

A glimpse within

"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
--Helen Keller


Ahh Helen Keller, I love that quote from her. Her and I are in many ways a part of the same world. A world that to others is never thought of or is easily forgotten about. Helen Keller is one of the smartest and most intriguing writers that i have ever read. I think it is because i feel her and i get here, probably because i have been there. She had it tougher then me. But i understand. Alot of people see me and can't tell there is anything wrong with me. They can't look at me and tell that i have a bum eye, or that i can't really see to walk at night. I try not to let it get in the way of the things i do, or in the way of my job, and call me prideful but i hate asking for help because of my eyes more then anything. I think it is because i hate admitting there is anything that i can't do. I think that's why i like helen keller so much. Nothing held her back or got in her way. She had hardships and had many things that could have caused her to give up and give in, but she kept on going.

I wish i were only as deterined as she is. She wasn't afraid of who she was yet here i am always getting embarrassed when people ask y i don't drive. And i have to tell them that i have horrible eyes. Each time i had surgery i would get all excited, thinking that maybe that surgery would give me full vision. That i would know what it's like not to see 2 of everything all the time. To be able to drive a car and not have to depend on other people to come get me, or not spend time with them. Or to just be normal, and enjoy things like the stars at night, or going for a walk at night to clear my head. I can't do these things. I don't know what it's like to see the stars, to lay on your back and enjoy them, because the few times i have been able to see them i had to squint so hard..i hated it. I can't go for walks at night like i use to love doing because, i might fall or hurt myself now. And yet here i am going to honduras. On an adventure that only God could provide.

I know how much Helen Keller suffered, as one who has been there. But i also know the joy, of being able to do things people never thought you could do. I know the value of sight, and of insight. I know the value and how precious it is from the perspective of someone who has lost it several times, and as someone whom has been forewarned that they may loose it again. I have known the dependence i have needed to have on others, for rides, and at times for guidance on dark nights. And have also felt the pain of falling down stairs, when led the wrong way, and the pain of falling when noone is there to help guide me or lead me. But i know above all things the sheer joy, of A Savior, who leads me to places and into circumstances i never before would have dared to venture into. And i know just as Helen Keller clearly did, that " I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Jesus, is not only my sight, but He is my vision for this world and My prayer for my family and my friends. Though i may struggle with my physical blindness, my heart can see, HE who is greater then all things, for HE has created all things.

1 comment:

Tanya said...

"...was blind, but now I see."
Amazing Grace, huh?

And I need to keep reminding myself that when you compliment me, like yesterday you said I looked nice, you really can't see a blessed thing anyway, so I know your full of it! ha ha
love ya!